It is all over the airwaves, er ‘netwaves’… Yahoo has signed a deal with Twitter to create a relationship that rivals any other search engine’s connection to the tweeting platform. I am short on time so here are some excerpts from the very unpunny Yahoo release titled “@yahoo + @twitter Sitting in a Tree…T.W.E.E.T.I.N.G.“:
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Feb. 23, 2010–As part of its ongoing commitment to be the center of people’s online lives, Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) today announced a global partnership with Twitter to integrate Twitter’s real-time social experiences with more than 600 million people in Yahoo!’s global network. The integration is part of Yahoo!’s commitment to provide personally relevant information to people, from sources across the Web.
… This partnership includes three primary elements:
1) People will be able to access their personal Twitter feeds across Yahoo!’s many products and properties, including the homepage, Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo! Sports, and others, letting them check in more easily on what’s happening with the people and things they care about while on Yahoo!.
2) People will be able to update their Twitter status and share content from Yahoo! in their Twitter stream, so they can easily share their Yahoo! experiences with their friends and followers on Twitter.
3) Yahoo! Search and Yahoo! media properties like News, Finance, Entertainment, and Sports will include real-time public Twitter updates across a variety of topics. Yahoo! Search users will immediately see real-time Twitter results today; go to Yahoo! and try it out.
To read more, here is the Yahoo Press Release.
For the first reactions to this alliance, check out the following links:
- BoomTown: Yahoo Dramatically Expands Twitter Relationship…
- Read Write Web: Twitter Cuts Deal with Yahoo