How to Market on Social Bookmarking Sites
Here are a number of websites that specialize in social bookmarking. When you register with the service the service will collect and organize the sites that you choose to bookmark and allow you to share them with other others. The social concept allows each service to create content-specific directories of user-selected content; which states (theoretically) the content is of a high quality.
- Stumbleupon: is a discovery engine that finds and recommends web content to its users. In April 2012, StumbleUpon announced that it had over 25 million registered users of the service.
- Digg: was rebuilt from the ground up in July 2012 to improve the user interface and overall experience. There is now increased support for sharing content to other social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Reddit: offers user generated news links that rank by votes. As of June 2012, commentary is particularly active, often running into the hundreds on some submissions
- Delicious: Originally founded in 2003 as a social bookmarking service, Delicious was acquired from Yahoo! in early 2011 by AVOS. The site was rebuilt from the ground up and re-launched in fall 2011 with a new focus on curation and discovery.
Associated Marketing Strategy
Create a personal profile on each site and then spend some time using them as though you were a potential customer of your own service. In other words, search for terms you target in your SEO campaigns or ask questions you or your target market asks regularly. After a while you will see a trend in the results you receive that you can use to your advantage.
For example, after typing in “marketing tips” on StumbleUpon you may notice that many of the articles that are getting positive reviews are written like tutorials whereas the other articles are getting little or negative feedback. This type of observation will give you the insight you need to write quality articles that are more likely to get positive ratings; which ultimately translates into increased traffic to the article source (your website perhaps). In addition, you can go back and bookmark tutorial content you have already written (as long as it is still viable).
If you are not writing your own content at the moment it is still advisable to find other great content and bookmark it for your profile. Why? If you create a reputation for providing excellent bookmarks it is more likely you will get additional, positive attention when you ultimately feature content of your own. Please Continue to “Content Voting Sites” OR choose from the following directory:
- Social Networking Sites
- Business Networking Sites
- Social (Collaborative) Bookmarking Sites
- Content Voting Sites
- News Sharing Sites
- Collaborative Directories
- Video Sharing Sites
- Photo Sharing Sites
You can also download our PDF called “Do it Yourself Social Media Marketing” created August 2012. Please note, any changes or updates that have occurred on our website since then may not be reflected in this document.